Israel kills UN driver causing halt to UN Relief Aid in Gaza

UN agency halts operations in Gaza
January 82009


Deepening humanitarian crises in Gaza

A UN agency has halted operations in Gaza after a deadly strike on an aid convoy that prompted UN chief to issue his second call for an Israeli investigation.

“Operations will remain suspended until Israeli authorities can guarantee the safety and security of our staff,” said Christopher Gunness, a spokesman for the UN Relief and Works Agency (UNRWA) that had been distributing food aid to about half of Gaza’s 1.5 million population.

The decision came after one man was killed and two others were wounded when a UN-flagged convoy of trucks was hit by two tank shells en route to the border with Israel to pick up humanitarian assistance.The Israeli military said it was investigating the incident.

Later two UN armoured vehicles that escorted an ambulance to recover the body of a local staff member in Gaza City came under small arms fire during the daily three-hour humanitarian lull Israel has declared in its Gaza offensive, a UN official said.

“The secretary-general condemns the Israeli Defence Force (IDF) firing on a United Nations aid convoy in Gaza,” a spokesman for Ban Ki-Moon said in a statement.

Ban, who plans to travel to the region next week to push for an end to the Gaza offensive, had already called for a probe of Israeli strikes on UN-run schools on Tuesday.

Meanwhile, the International Committee of the Red Cross (ICRC) on Thursday accused Israel of failing to help wounded people in one area after rescuers found four small children too weak to stand up and huddling next to their dead mothers.

It said Israeli soldiers tried to force the rescuers to leave when they finally reached the wounded in Gaza City’s shell-blasted Zeitun neighbourhood on Wednesday, four days after safe passage had been requested.

“This is a shocking incident,” said Pierre Wettach, who heads the ICRC’s delegation for Israel and the Palestinian territories.

“The Israeli military must have been aware of the situation but did not assist the wounded.”

The ICRC said that more wounded people are sheltering in destroyed houses.

Source

UN trucks etc including UN schools are well marked. This was a deliberate act on part of Israel to stop aid.

No doubt in my mind whatsoever.

Again and again Israel has  attacked the UN. Deliberate actions on part of Israel. This in my opinion is an act of aggression against all members of the United Nations. They are killing UN workers and attacking UN installations such as the schools. This beyond unacceptable. This is an attack on the rest of the world. So to speak.

Israel has even been targeting hospitals and ambulances. They are investigating are they.? Well I have heard that line so many times in the past it is just pure BS to appease the rest of us.

I don’t believe it not for a second. No sooner did they get a 3 hour truce and the UN driver was killed.

Coincidence I think not.

Deliberate murder,  is more like it, done to terrorize the UN.

Worked well didn’t it?

How perfect for Israel and how devastating for the Palestinians.

The plan was perfectly executed I must say. Worked like a charm.

What they say and what they do are two very different things.

This is typical Israeli behavior.

NOW WHO BROKE THE TRUCE? Israel did. They always do.

Red Cross slams Israel over 4 day wait to access  wounded

The making of Israel’s Apartheid in Palestine

Egypt floats truce plan after 42 killed in Gaza School and Bars Doctors from Gaza

Gaza (3): A Picture Is Worth A Thousand Words

Gaza (2): A Picture Is Worth A Thousand Words

Gaza (1): A Picture Is Worth A Thousand Words

Red Cross slams Israel over 4 day wait to access  wounded

The making of Israel’s Apartheid in Palestine

Bombs rain down in Gaza as peace deal accepted ‘in principle’

Egypt floats truce plan after 42 killed in Gaza School and Bars Doctors from Gaza

Published in: on January 8, 2009 at 11:27 pm  Comments Off on Israel kills UN driver causing halt to UN Relief Aid in Gaza  
Tags: , , , , , , , , ,

Obama to tape weekly address for Web

President-elect will also do a weekly address for radio listeners, too
November 14 2008

By Ann Sanner

CHICAGO – This isn’t your grandfather’s fireside chat.

President-elect Barack Obama plans to tape a weekly address not just for radio listeners, as presidents have for years, but for YouTube Internet viewers, too.

Well, what else would you expect from the first post-baby boom president?

Connecting the White House hearth to the American home, Franklin Roosevelt talked to the people through the radio, with crackling broadcasts delivered near a crackling fire. John F. Kennedy and Ronald Reagan mastered television. For Obama, who built a big part of his campaign on the Internet, it’s Google Inc.-owned YouTube.

About 75 years after Roosevelt used a new medium to reach out during troubled times, the president-elect is doing the same with Web videos.

Obama was recording a four-minute address Friday at his transition office in Chicago. It will be posted Saturday through a YouTube link on his transition Web site, http://www.change.gov. And he will continue to do the videos when he takes office on Jan. 20.

And he won’t be the only one in his administration taking a starring role online.

Transition leaders and policy advisers will also appear in videos on a regular basis, Obama spokeswoman Jen Psaki said. Other officials, such as Cabinet members, could also take part.

President George W. Bush hasn’t videotaped his radio addresses for online viewing as Obama plans to do, the White House said. YouTube wasn’t around when Bush came into office, though podcasts of his addresses are available on iTunes, and the audio is posted on http://www.whitehouse.gov.

The Saturday radio addresses were initiated by Reagan and have evolved into a weekly fixture of the presidency, accompanied by a response from the party out of power.

Still, relatively few people actually hear them on the radio, and Obama is hoping to reach many more with what his transition team calls a “multimedia opportunity.”

The videos are part of the team’s effort to build on a campaign model that helped Obama reach millions of voters online during the presidential race. It’s a potentially powerful electronic tool in new digital outreach effort aimed at supporters and others interested in being connected to the activities of the Obama White House. The Web site and videos allow him to bypass the traditional media and reinforce his message online.

On the campaign trail, Obama promised to use the Internet to make his administration more open and interactive, offering a detailed look at what’s going on in the White House on a given day or asking people to post comments on his legislative proposals.

The transition team plans to use videos to keep people posted on developments as Obama prepares to take the oath of office, Psaki said.

A two-minute video of Obama adviser Valerie Jarrett is already on the web page .

In it, Jarrett discusses recent staff decisions and the ethics policy in place for the transition.

“We’ll be back frequently to give you updates,” she tells watchers.

Source

Published in: on November 15, 2008 at 8:36 am  Comments Off on Obama to tape weekly address for Web  
Tags: , , , , , , , , , , , , , ,

Unbowed Icelandic PM sends a strong message to UK

October 16 2008

Geir H. HaardeIn an emotional address to parliament today, Icelandic Prime Minister Geir H. Haarde summed up the tempestuous waves of misfortune that over the last weeks have shaken the nation’s financial foundations and threathened its sovereignty.

“It is at such times that the Icelandic nation will show what stuff it is made of – its fortitude and prudence in the face of these disasters inspires admiration everywhere. We may for a time be bloodied, but we are unbowed.”

Haarde went on to say that now that the worst of the storm was over, that the time to regain control over the raging economic situation and normalise the economy had arrived. Landsbanki and Glitnir have already begun operating in a changed form.

“…loan lines of up to 400 million euros were activated yesterday from the central banks of Denmark and Norway. We will strengthen the currency reserves considerably in addition to this and discussions are now in progress in Moscow on a possible currency loan,” said Geir. “Furthermore mentioning discussions with the IMF on the possible involvement of the Fund in the financial reconstruction work that lies ahead. All possibilities are being assessed without prejudice.”

The Prime Minister then reminded how the seriousness of Iceland’s situation has its roots in the financial upheavals across the world that have left no country unaffected and have brought larger economic entities to their knees.

“…dozens of banks around the world have had to throw in the towel and look to the state for assistance in their home countries. The problem which faced the Icelandic Government when this chain of events was unleashed was more serious than the problem facing other governments, because of how large the Icelandic banking system was in proportion to the economy. It was, therefore, clear that it was neither sensible nor feasible for the Icelandic state to shoulder the burdens of the entire banking system.”

In face of these facts Haarde stated that, “The Government decided to take another course with the long term interests of the Icelandic nation uppermost. The actions of the Icelandic authorities are among the most radical actions taken by a government in a banking crisis.”

Haarde then took this opportunity to thank the members of Althingi from all parties for working to ensure that the so-called emergency legislation was passed as quickly as it was.

He continued that the most important task was to retrieve as much value as possible from the operations of the banks in order to limit the damage caused by their collapse. “All of us, the administration, members of parliament, and others in leading positions must stand together in this task. In this work we will need to make use of the efforts of all those with experience and expertise in banking. We should not allow speculation about the causes of the fire to hinder the work of extinguishing it,” Haarde said.

Haarde then hit the topic of relations with UK. “…the way we were treated by the British Government last week had nothing to do with salvaging British interests and was absolutely unacceptable.”

“The British Government’s unprecedented actions against Kaupthing in the United Kingdom have led us to review our legal position vis-à-vis the British authorities. To that end, the Government of Iceland has appointed a British law firm, which is now working to prepare a case, and the Icelandic Government has also taken various measures to ensure that the British public is made aware of our point of view.”

“Despite the dispute that has arisen in relations between Iceland and the United Kingdom, both countries have emphasized resolving the issues connected to Landsbanki’s IceSave accounts. The same applies to IceSave accounts in the Netherlands.”

“No agreement has yet been concluded with the United Kingdom, but I am hopeful that an outcome will be achieved soon.”

“In the emergency legislation passed by the Althing last week, depositors’ claims were given priority during the receivership process. There are good prospects that Landsbanki’s assets in the Netherlands and Britain will go a long way toward covering the claims that savers in these countries have on the respective banks – which will in turn reduce the claim that falls on the Icelandic state. The Government has taken measures to ensure the value of the banks’ assets and in that way limit losses as far as possible.”

Haarde ended his speech by asking the nation to come together, learn from its mistakes and not to turn to anxiety.

“There are always opportunities in a difficult position. We have been forced onto the defensive in recent days, but with determined effort, we will slowly but surely regain the offensive.”

“The Icelandic nation has been confronted with great and difficult challenges in the past, and adversity has always fortified us and brought out the best in this nation. There are difficult times ahead, and they will put our solidarity to greater tests than ever before. But no one need be in any doubt that the people of Iceland will draw on their inherent strength and make their voice heard in the world once again.”

“In these difficult times it is essential to prevent fear and anxiety, which understandably effect people, from developing into confusion and panic.”

Source

Published in: on October 16, 2008 at 6:21 pm  Comments Off on Unbowed Icelandic PM sends a strong message to UK  
Tags: , , , , , , , , , , , , , , ,

Prime Minister Harper officially endorses North American Union!

YOU WANT HARPER IN A MAJORITY GOVERNMENT?? CANADA WILL BE LOST, PLEASE VOTE SMART.

Mr. Harper’s speech at the CFR on 25 September 2007 affirms Mr. Harper’s Security and Prosperity Partnership of North America (SPPNA) commitment to hand over Canada to full control by no later than 2010, to a political fraternity which is associated with the current U.S. Bush administration. Mr. Harper’s government apparently reports to the CFR.

In effect, the Government of Canada appears to be governed not from a sovereign Parliament in Ottawa, but run through a New York City-based political fraternity, which seeks to replace a democratic form of government, with the rule of society by a “Council of Wise Men”.

The architects of such a fascistic government look upon their vision of society, to be much more “efficient” in dealing with the need to vanquish enemies, i.e. “terrorists”.

Be sure to check out the sight for the rest of the information.

Source information and Video Presenting Stphen Harper

He wants to sell out the country

The Three Amigos are still at it.

Published in: on October 14, 2008 at 3:18 am  Comments Off on Prime Minister Harper officially endorses North American Union!  
Tags: , , , , , , , , , ,